The Ohio Lottery Commission was established in May 1973 to oversee and operate a lottery in Ohio. Mainly, it offers a variety of games, including draw games, scratch-off games, and instant games. Some popular games it offers include Mega Millions in Ohio, pick 4 Ohio lottery, Powerball, and Classic Lotto.
This article discusses the lottery in Ohio, how it works, and more. Keep reading if you are interested in the lottery and how it works in Buckeye State.
Types of Lotteries
In Ohio, several categories of lottery games are available for players to choose from. They include traditional draw games, instant games, keno, raffles, online games, and Ohio sports betting options. Below we discuss them in detail.
These games are drawn at specific times. In particular, players can purchase tickets in advance or on the day of the drawing. The draw games aim to match the numbers on the ticket with the numbers drawn to win a prize. You can win small prizes to grand jackpots. It depends on the game and the number of matching numbers. Below are game examples:
- Mega Millions
- Classic Lotto
They’re also known as scratch-off games. In particular, these are lottery games where players scratch off a covering to reveal if they have won a prize. Winners get a chance to hit large jackpots. You can find the odds of winning and the number of remaining top prizes on the Ohio Lottery’s website or the ticket itself. Examples include:
- Lucky 7’s
It’s an Ohio lottery game where players select numbers and watch as a computer randomly generates numbers. Players can choose up to 10 numbers, with the option to play multiple rounds.
Also, the prizes are awarded based on the number of matches between the player’s selected numbers and the randomly generated numbers. The game draw is every four minutes. Therefore, it allows players to win multiple times per day. Below are some of these games:
- Ohio Classic Keno
- Buckeye Keno
- Ohio Keno Multiplier
These games typically have a limited number of tickets available for purchase. Notably, the game draw takes place once all the tickets are sold; to determine the winner. These games’ prizes can vary but are often large cash prizes or luxury items. In particular, Raffles games usually take place on a limited basis. They’re not always available to play.
Additionally, players must purchase a ticket before the drawing date. That is, if they want to participate in these games. Some of these games are:
- Ohio Classic Lotto
- Rolling Cash 5
- Mega Millions
You can play these games on the Ohio Lottery’s website or mobile app. In particular, these games include instant games, drawing games, and keno. Players can purchase tickets, check winning numbers, and claim prizes through the online platform. Moreover, players in Ohio must be 18 or older to participate in online lottery games. Some popular lottery online games in Ohio include the following:
- Classic Lotto
- Lucky for Life
These games include traditional point spread bets, moneyline bets, and over/under bets. In addition, the Ohio lottery offers parlay bets that can be used in the list of Ohio sportsbooks. It is where players can combine multiple bets on different teams or events. Mainly, it is for the chance to win larger payouts. Moreover, it includes live streaming of sports events to enhance players’ experience. Below are examples of games:
- Buckeye State Sports Pick
- Cincinnati Bengals Gridiron Challenge
- Cleveland Browns Football Frenzy
Steps on how to use or play the Ohio Lottery
Using the Ohio lottery is a simple process. Here are the steps to follow:
- Purchase a ticket: You can purchase lottery tickets from authorized retailers across Ohio. These retailers include convenience stores, gas stations, and other retail outlets. You can also buy tickets online through the lottery website of Ohio.
- Choose your game: The Ohio lottery offers a variety of games. Mainly, it includes the Ohio Classic Lotto, Mega Millions, Powerball, and others. Each game has its own set of rules and odds of winning. Read the rules and odds for the game you choose before purchasing your ticket.
- Select your numbers: Depending on the game you choose, you may have to select your numbers. Or you can have them aimlessly produce. Some games allow you to select your numbers online. On the other hand, others require you to pick them up in person at the retailer.
- Check the draw date: Each game has a specific draw date and time. Therefore, be sure to check the drawing date for the game you choose. This way, you don’t miss the chance to win.
- Check the winning numbers: After the draw, the winning numbers will be announced on the Ohio Lottery website. It can also be in local newspapers and on television. You can then check your ticket against the winning numbers to see if you’ve won.
- Claim your prize: If you’ve won, you must claim your prize by visiting the Ohio Lottery Commission headquarters. Or you can go to an authorized claim center. Remember that you must bring your winning ticket and a valid form of identification. Additionally, claim your prize promptly!
Where to buy lottery tickets in Ohio?
These lottery tickets are available at several authorized retailers throughout Ohio. Please note that buying lottery tickets online from sources other than the official lottery website is illegal.
Moreover, It is important to remember that lottery tickets are only valid for a certain period, usually 180 days. Therefore, be sure to check the expiration date on your ticket. Below are some places where to buy lottery tickets in Ohio.
- Convenience stores (e.g., 7-Eleven and Circle K)
- Gas stations such as BP and Mobil
- Grocery stores (e.g., Kroger and Giant Eagle)
- Drug stores such as CVS and Walgreens
- Retail stores such as Walmart and Meijer
- Lottery ticket vending machines located in select locations
- Ohio Lottery Commission Retailer
- Online at the Lottery Commission website
The Ohio lottery mobile application
Are you looking for a convenient way to play your favorite lottery games on the go? Look no further than the official lottery app of Ohio! This handy tool lets you purchase tickets for all significant draw games. It includes Mega Millions, Powerball, and more. Plus, with access to the “My Lotto Rewards” program and a calendar of upcoming draws. Thus, you’ll always be in the know.
In addition, there’s the Mobile Cashing feature. It’s where you can quickly scan and redeem winning tickets between $50 and $5,000. So why wait? Download the Ohio Lottery app today and take your lottery experience to the next level! And with the advent of Ohio sports betting and lottery, you’ll have even more options to enjoy.
Moreover, please take note that it’s illegal for anyone under 18 to purchase or claim lottery prizes. So, keep that in mind when participating in the lottery.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can check your lottery ticket by visiting the Ohio Lottery website. Also, you can do it by scanning the barcode on the ticket at a self-service checker at a lottery retailer. You can also call Ohio’s lottery customer service line to check your ticket status.
The lottery in Ohio is open to anyone 18 years of age or older. However, specific individuals, such as employees of the Ohio Lottery Commission, are prohibited from participating in the lottery. Additionally, their immediate family members are also not allowed.